If your home’s roof is in need of repair or a replacement, it is essential to be aware of the warning signs. If not dealt with immediately, costly damage can occur to your home’s infrastructure and overall structure. This can be especially true for older roofs that may have already passed their life expectancy of 20-30 years. So, if any of the following signs are present, it’s best to call a local roofing contractor as soon as possible.
Here are some key signs that you need a new roof:
- Curling, Cracked, or Missing Shingles: A surefire giveaway that a new roof is needed is when you spot missing, cracked, or curling shingles. While shingles can curl due to environmental factors and age, damage can also indicate improper installation or wear.
- Age of Roof: To assess the age of your roof, you can look at when it was last replaced or compare it to your neighbors, who generally move in and out of their homes at the same time. If your roof is 20-30 years old, it may be time and money well spent to replace it.
- Leaks and Moisture Issues: Water and leaks around the attic or room eaves can be a sign that your roof is not doing its job of protecting your home from the elements. Although sealing small leaky areas may be a quick fix, a thorough inspection should be performed by a professional to determine if a replacement is necessary.
- Sagging Areas: When climbing up on your roof, watch out for any sagging areas that may have been caused by extreme weather or structural damage. Sagging could be a sign of a larger issue like dry rot or other internal problems.
- Light Shows Through the Roof: When checking your attic at night, take a flashlight and look for any light coming into the room. This indicates smaller holes and cracks in the roof that need to be patched up or replaced entirely since the holes are allowing water and heat energy to get in or out.
- Mold, Algae, and Fungi Growth: Mold, algae, and fungi can cause irritation and even illness if left untreated for long periods of time. If left unchecked, these issues can seriously ruin the structural integrity of your roof and shorten its lifespan.
- Granules Collected in the Gutters: Your roof’s granules will naturally begin to wear away over time and make it more prone to damage. Excessive granules in your gutters can be a sign that your roof needs to be replaced.
- Chimney Cracks: Flashing is a thin barrier of material that is used to keep water and moisture out of your home. Over time, the flashing around your chimney can crack and give way to water damage–if unchecked this can cause structural damage to your chimney.
- Daylight Coming Through the Soffit: Examine the soffit, or the area between the eaves and the roof, to look for signs of rot or leakage. If light can be seen shining through the area, it’s likely time to get a new roof.
- Valleys with Cracked Shingles: Valleys are the area at the roof’s lowest points and are prone to pooling water. If you can see cracked or broken shingles in the valleys it can be a sign of future leaks or damage that should be addressed.
- Ice Dams: Ice dams can cause serious damage if left unchecked. If present, this is an indication that your roof’s insulation/ventilation isn’t working correctly, leading to the formation of the dam.
- Age of Insulation/Attic Ventilation: Ventilation and insulation are key for any roof to last a long time. If these are over 15 years old, it may be beneficial to replace them as the insulation and ventilation can help prevent serious weather damage to your roof.
- Stains on the Roof Decking: Roof decking, or the decking that is used to hold up the shingles, can be prone to water damage. If any large stains are present on the decking, they should be inspected immediately.
- Poorly Installed Shingles: If you notice that the shingles aren’t installed properly, this could indicate that your roof doesn’t have the necessary support and will be unable to protect you from the elements.
- Structural Issues: If you notice any structural issues, such as improperly installed roof trusses, these should be addressed immediately as this affects the safety of your roof and home.
Spotting these signs of roof damage can be the difference between investing in a costly roof replacement and keeping your home safe and secure. So, to keep your inspection costs low, it’s best to inspect your roof regularly and call a roofing contractor as soon as the sign above becomes apparent.
Ultimately, it is important to keep up on roof maintenance so that you don’t wait until it’s too late. With the right preventive maintenance schedule and help from a local roofing contractor, you can keep your roof safe and protected for years to come.
Sparks Residents: Get a New Roof Installed Stress-Free with CTR Roofing LTD
If you live in Sparks, Nevada, and need to have a roof installed, you can trust CTR Roofing LTD to get the job done. Our team is dedicated to providing reliable roofing services, no matter the scope of your project. We can inspect your roof and tell you whether it needs to be repaired or replaced. If it’s beyond repair, our crew will install a new, more attractive, and energy-efficient roofing system in no time.
We offer several roof types to choose from, such as shingle roofs, metal roofs, tile roofs, and more, so you can easily find the perfect roof for your home and budget. And our experienced roofers take the utmost care and attention to ensure the installation is done safely and correctly. We also provide exceptional warranties to give you peace of mind in case any unforeseen issues arise after installation.
With CTR Roofing LTD, you can be sure that you’re getting the best possible services at competitive prices. Plus, you can also rest assured that your new roof will last for decades without any issues. So don’t wait any longer–call us at (775) 657-8020 to schedule a free estimate and find out why we are the leading roofing company in Sparks. Get your new roof installed worry-free with CTR Roofing LTD!